COVERED BRIDGE - POWERSCOURT, QC

The townships of Elgin and Hinchinbrooke are joined by the Powerscourt Covered Bridge as it crosses the Chateauguay River on the First Concession. The Powerscourt Bridge is the only remaining covered bridge in south-western Québec. Of the one hundred and fifteen throughout the province of Québec, the vast majority, some fifty-five, are found within the original Eastern Townships.

According to Lyn and Richard Harrington, authors of Covered Bridges of Central and Eastern Canada, the Powercourt Bridge, built in 1861, is the oldest covered bridge in Québec, and the only one in the world built using the McCallum inflexible arched truss.

(Taken from the 1981 Annual Journal of the Chateauguay Valley Historical Society)


Bottom-test, Folks!
Powerscourt down the road-